Children of today are extremely tech savvy, in many cases they know much more about using computers than their parents do! Unfortunately the online world can at times be a sinister place for children with undesirable individuals trying to communicate with them. If you are unsure of the best way to ensure their safety online than its advisable to contact professional IT support Melbourne who can help guide you in the right direction.
Parents have very busy schedules, between working and raising children, it can be very hard to find enough time to monitor their online activities every moment they are logged on. Regrettably young children whose family computer isn’t suitably protected have been exposed to very inappropriate content online, such as pornography. Other children are unknowingly giving out personal details to strangers or are exposed to severe bullying online. It’s important to teach your children the following to help keep them protected:
• Teach your children to never share their passwords.
• Ensure they log out of their computer after finishing work. This ensures no one else can access their personal information.
• Be cautious of opening emails and attachments. Best to follow the “Stranger danger” message; they shouldn’t communicate with people they don’t know.
• Never give out personal information, such as home address, phone number etc.
• If they use social media, ensure their settings are private. Also advisable to get an indication of which friends they have online. How well do they know them?
• Ask if they have ever been made to feel upset by others online. Cyberbullying can be devastating to impressionable children. Make sure they limit contact from those that are bullies, avoid responding and report the abuse. Detailed advice can be found online at esafety.gov.au
• Install a valuable sense of self-respect with your children. Teach them that undesirable information and images can remain online indefinably. It’s important for their reputation, future relationships and employment prospects that they don’t cause themselves harm online by posting detrimental content.
As parents, you want to protect your children as much as possible. It’s important that your computer is protected to ensure they aren’t exposed to harmful content and contact with strangers. IT Support Melbourne can assist by ensuring your antivirus and firewall is formatted correctly and up to date. They are many privacy settings that need to be activated and parental control software can also be helpful to prevent inappropriate content showing up while your child is logged on.